Back to Top


Licence renewals

Many licences should be renewed each year - see Parish Hall opening hours for the issue of licences and permits due for renewal.


Dog licence

You must purchase a licence for each dog you keep. The licence fee is £10 per dog, lasts for 1 year and must be renewed by 31 January each year. A licence cannot be issued to a person under the age of 16 years. It is an offence not to licence a dog; as an alternative to prosecution a double fee (£20) may be made for late licence applications i.e. after 31 January.

You need not purchase a licence if your dog is:

  • under the age of six months or
  • a guide dog kept and used solely by a blind person or a deaf person.

2021 dog licence application £10 licence fee

Dog owners are responsible for their dogs. In particular –

  • Every dog on a highway or in a public place must wear a collar which shows the name and address AND telephone number of the owner. This will help reunite you and your dog should it stray and may avoid you incurring collection and housing costs.
  • It is an offence to allow a dog to worry livestock.
  • From 1 May to 30 September, dogs must be kept on a lead when on a beach between 10.30 a.m. and 6 p.m.
  • You must remove any faeces deposited by your dog. It is an offence not to clear up after your dog and the penalty is £1,000.
  • Ensure your dog does not become a nuisance to others (see Barking Dogs for advice about statutory nuisances and neighbour complaints).

Stray dogs

If you find a stray dog:

  • check for a collar to identify the owner's name and address;
  • contact the owner to arrange for the dog to be collected;
  • if you are unable to contact the owner you should contact the Duty Centenier of the Parish;
  • the owner is responsible for paying all costs if a dog has to be collected and/or housed whilst the owner is traced by the Duty Centenier (charges from £70 for collection and from £20 per day for housing).

How many dog licences are purchased each year?

The FOI response shows the number of dog licences 2012 to 2015. The number of dog licences issued by parishes each year since 2016 is as follows (figures as at June for 2016 to 2020, figure as at April 2021):







St Brelade






St Clement












St Helier






St John






St Lawrence






St Martin






St Mary






St Ouen






St Peter






St Saviour


















Driving licence

Do I need a driving licence?

You must hold a valid licence to drive a motor vehicle of any class or description on a road.

You must have a Jersey driving licence if you are a permanent resident of Jersey and wish to drive a motor vehicle of any description.

Can I drive on a foreign licence?

You may drive the relevant class of vehicle for up to 12 months from your last date of entry into Jersey if you are

  • resident outside Jersey and
  • only temporarily on Jersey and
  • you hold a full (not provisional) up to date non-Jersey driving permit and/or licence

You may NOT drive on Jersey on a foreign licence if

  • you leave your address outside Jersey and move to an address on Jersey OR
  • you take a permanent job on Jersey

Please contact your Parish Hall if you need further advice.

How do I apply for a Jersey driving licence?

Application forms are available from your Parish Hall. You may also apply  online to renew a full Jersey driving licence or to replace a full or provisional driving licence which has been lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced. 

A driving licence is issued for one or more Vehicle Categories. To apply for a Jersey licence you

  • must be a permanent resident of Jersey
  • have attained the appropriate age for the vehicle category
  • provide one colour passport size photograph which meets the specification
  • pay £50 for a 10-year driving licence or £20 for a provisional licence
  • provide a medical report if
    • you are making a first application for a category C or category D licence
    • you are over 45 years of age on the date of application and you are applying to renew a category C large goods vehicle; C+E articulated vehicle and/or D large passenger carrying vehicle licence
    • you have a medical condition which has worsened since your last driving licence was granted or you suffer from certain medical conditions [see application form/link with list]

You must surrender your existing driving licence when you apply for a licence to

  • add new categories or renew one or more categories
  • change a provisional licence for a full licence when you pass your test
  • exchange a foreign licence for a Jersey licence
  • remove expired endorsements or suspension details
  • change your photograph
  • replace a defaced licence

A driving licence is valid for ten years and costs £50. Certain categories may be valid for less than ten years as they expire when you are 66 and must be renewed each year after that age. If you are adding a category or renewing one or more categories which will be valid for less than ten years your Parish will tell you the cost of the licence.

Your driving licence may contain restriction codes, for example if you have a medical condition or an adapted vehicle. An explanation of these codes is available on

Can I exchange a foreign licence?

We can exchange some foreign driving licences for a Jersey licence ( for details) but

  • Not all categories on your foreign licence may be exchangeable
  • Only some countries offer a reciprocal agreement to exchange a Jersey driving licence when you move back to that country

If a reciprocal agreement is NOT available you will have to

  • Pass the prescribed test of that country when you return to live there OR
  • Apply for a provisional Jersey driving licence, pass the theory and practical driving tests in Jersey; if you apply for a provisional Jersey driving licence your foreign driving licence is no longer valid to drive on Jersey

Provisional licences

A provisional licence is valid for six months and costs £20.

A provisional licence is granted so that you may learn to drive a motor vehicle with a view to passing a test. You will usually be refused a second provisional licence if you fail to attempt your driving test within six months without good cause.

Your provisional licence is subject to conditions. These are explained when your licence is issued and include

  • a moped or light motorcycle (or a heavy motorcycle following a period of disqualification) provisional licence is not valid until you obtain a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate. Apply for CBT course online  with the Jersey School of Motorcycling Ltd.
  • when you drive a vehicle you must be under the supervision of a person who
    • has attained the age of 21 years and
    • is present in the vehicle and
    • holds and has held for at least 3 years a licence (not being a provisional licence) to drive a vehicle of the same category as the vehicle you are driving.

      The practical test pass certificate for a category of vehicle is valid for 5 years but you may only drive unaccompanied for one week on your provisional licence so please apply promptly for your full driving licence.

Duplicate driving licences

A duplicate licence may be issued if your driving licence has been

  • lost
  • stolen
  • destroyed or
  • defaced

You may apply online or at your Parish Hall, you must complete a declaration form and pay the full fee. The duplicate licence will be valid for the same period as the licence which it replaces.

Change of address

You must notify the Parish within 7 days if you change your address. You can do this

We will update your record. You keep your existing driving licence.

If you are moving away from Jersey you can complete an online form to notify your Parish, States of Jersey departments as well as your GP surgery (only if you want). For more information and the online form please take a look at

Change of name

You must notify the Parish within 7 days if you change your name. You can do this

You will need to provide proof of a change of name, a passport type photograph taken within the last six months and surrender your driving licence. If you are using the online service you will also need to provide a sample signature. We will issue a new licence free of charge in your new name.

Suspension or Revocation of a driving licence and appeals

A driving licence may be suspended or revoked if the parohcial authority is satisfied, following a medical examination or driving assessment, that a person is no longer fit to drive.

There is a right of appeal to the Royal Court.

Notice of intention to appeal must by given to the parochial authority and an application submitted to the Viscount (the form is in Schedule 4 of the Royal Court Rules 2004).

Subject Access Request (SAR)

Use this form to make a Subject Access Request (driving licence) .


Firearms certificate

You may only possess a firearm if you have been granted a firearm certificate by the Connétable of the Parish in which you live (see the Firearms (Jersey) Law 2000 The only exemptions are air weapons designed for use under water and air weapons with a muzzle energy of less than one foot-pound.

A firearms certificate is also required for ammunition for a firearm (this does not include cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds .23 of an inch in diameter, ammunition for an air weapon, and blank cartridges not exceeding one inch in diameter measured immediately in front of the rim or cannelure of the base of the cartridge - please ask for further details if you are unsure).

Complete the 'Application for a Firearm Certificate', available from your Parish Hall, to apply for the:

  • Grant or renewal of a firearm certificate - you must provide two referees (details of those who may act as referee are on the application form). A firearm certificate is valid for five years and costs £45
  • Variation of your name or address on your firearm certificate
  • Variation of firearms or ammunition details on your firearm certificate - the charge for a variation (if the total number of firearms increases) is £20; there is no charge if you are reducing the number of firearms held.

The holder of a firearm certificate must comply with all conditions imposed including -

  • notify the Connétable of any change in his place of residence (use the change my name or address online service or complete and return the form Change of name address )
  • at all times store the firearm and ammunition to which the certificate relates in a secure manner so as to prevent, as far as reasonably practicable, access to the authorised firearm or ammunition by an unauthorized person;
  • take reasonable precautions for the safe custody of the firearm and ammunition when they are in use.

Every firearm certificate holder or applicant who is or proposes to be engaged in field sports, pest control or rough shooting must provide proof of third party liability cover before the firearm certificate is granted or renewed. Cover is required as follows:

  • £2,000,000 if shooting on your own land; or
  • £10,000,000 if shooting on land belonging to another person.

Insurance is available through the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (; the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association (; household insurance policy (this will usually only provide £2,000,000 cover) or a business insurance policy for a pest control business. A condition will be added to the firearm certificate requiring the holder to maintain such insurance cover; failure to do so will be a breach of conditions and may be grounds for the Connétable to revoke or partially revoke the firearm certificate.


Fireworks - retail sale of

The Explosives (Jersey) Law 1970 regulates the importation, manufacture, storage, use, conveyance, sale, purchase, transfer, acquisition and possession of explosives.

If you wish to sell fireworks by retail you must have a licence granted by the Connétable of the Parish in which the place from which the fireworks are to be sold is situated.

The licence costs £15, is valid for one year expiring on 31 December and is subject to certain conditions (set out on the application form). In particular the retail sale of fireworks is only permitted for a limited period (Thursday 28 October to Saturday 6 November 2021 inclusive) and the sale of certain types of fireworks is prohibited.

Application - 2021 licence for retail sale of fireworks

International Driving Permit

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised internationally and it normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle without further formality when accompanied by a valid Jersey driving licence.

If you are visiting a country for longer than 3 months, to take up residence or employment, or for any reason other than tourism, you should make enquiries about your situation before relying on a permit. Remember, it is an offence to drive a vehicle without a valid driving licence and, where required, a permit.

The Connétables are authorised to issue IDPs to applicants who hold valid Jersey driving licences.

There are three types of IDP that may be required:

  • 1926 Paris Convention
  • 1949 Geneva Convention
  • 1968 Vienna Convention

The version of the IDP you will require depends on which country you are visiting and whether it is party to the 1926, 1949 or the 1968 Convention.

If the UK Brexit negotiations result in ‘no deal’ the current Jersey driving licence may no longer be valid by itself when driving in the European Union (EU).  Further information about Brexit is on 

Please note a driver could require more than one type of IDP if they are visiting EU countries covered by different conventions, for example France and Spain.

The list of countries for each IDP can be found on the application form. If you require further information the, UK Post Office's online guide  can be used to check the IDP used in the countries you are planning to visit.

International Driving Permit Application Form 2021 Aug

You must sign your IDP as soon as you receive it. An IDP issued in Jersey is not valid for use in Jersey. An IDP cannot be issued to the holder of a Jersey provisional licence.

Check the accuracy of the personal information printed on your driving licence. If there are any errors or you have changed your name or address, you should immediately notify your Parish authority.

If you change your name and/or address you must notify the Parish within 7 days. Use the change my name or address online service or complete and return the form Change of name address


Liquor licences

Applications for the grant of a liquor licence are made to the Treasurer of the States and are then forwarded to the Parish as the Connétable must convene a Parish Assembly to enable parishioners to comment on the application.

The comments made at the Parish Assembly are conveyed to the Licensing Assembly who will determine the application.

Any parishioner who speaks at a Parish Assembly on a licence application may then address the Licensing Assembly on that application.

A liquor licence is granted for one year and will expire on 24 December.

An application to renew a liquor licence for a further period of 1 year must be made to the Treasurer of the States between 5 October and 5 November inclusive. Applications to renew a liquor licence are not referred to a Parish Assembly.

Where a licensed manager is required for the premises, or there is to be a change of manager, the company concerned is advised to consult with their legal representative who will then inform the Connétable of the details so the relevant formalities may be completed.

To be assessed for the grant of a licence or to be registered as a manager/deputy of licensed premises please complete and return the Licensing law self declaration for managers ; you will need to provide proof of identity, references and a basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland.

Places of refreshment (Sunday opening)

Places of refreshment must be registered with the Tourism Committee in accordance with the Places of Refreshment (Jersey) Law 1967.

Registered places of refreshment may not open for the serving of customers on a Sunday, Good Friday or Christmas Day unless the Connétable of the parish in which the premises are situated has granted a permit authorizing the proprietor to open the premises. Written application should be made to the Connétable of the parish stating the and must be accompanied by the fee of £15.

Application for place of refreshment permit


Sunday trading permits (inc. Good Friday, Liberation Day (9 May), and 26 December)

The Shops (Regulation of Opening and Deliveries) (Jersey) Law 2010 and the Shops (Regulation of Opening) (Jersey) Regulations 2011 control the opening of shops on Sundays and this includes Good Friday, Liberation Day (9 May), and 26 December. A shop may not open for business on these days unless a permit has been granted. No shop may open on 25 December (Christmas Day).

The permit available will depend on the size of the shop. A small shop is a shop with a retail sales area of not more than 700 square metres. A large shop is a shop with a retail sales area in excess of 700 square metres.

The permits available are summarised below but please refer to Sunday Trading Guidance Notes  for further information.


General permit available to occupiers of small shops

This permit may authorise the opening of a shop on Sundays, Good Friday, Liberation Day and 26 December or on any combination of those days.

A General Permit cannot authorise opening on Christmas Day.

Tourist amenities, facilities or attractions of any size may apply for this permit if the part of their retail sales area devoted to the supply of goods is not more than 700 square metres. 

Any other shop that is primarily focused on service provision and in which the supply of goods is incidental to the provision of that service may also apply for a General Permit.

A Connétable can attach conditions to a General Permit to control opening hours, deliveries and certain other relevant matters.

A General Permit will be valid for up to one year.  It will expire on 31st December of the year for which it is granted.

The fee for filing an application is £60.

 General Permit application

Restricted Hours Permit available to occupiers of large shops 

The Restricted Hours Permit may authorise the opening of a shop between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm on Sundays, Good Friday and Liberation Day or on any combination of those days.

A Restricted Hours Permit cannot authorise opening on either Christmas Day or 26 December.

A Restricted Hours Permit will be valid for up to one year.  It will expire on 31st December of the year for which it is granted.

Provision is made for large shops that include a station or garage facility selling fuel or other source of power for motor vehicles (e.g. electricity sold via charging points).  When applying for a Restricted Hours Permit, the occupier of such a shop may apply for permission to open the road fuel station for longer than the 10.00 am to 4.00 pm period that applies to the primary commercial activity or activities across the remainder of the shop. This provision only applies in cases where the retail sales area devoted to the road fuel station does not exceed 700 square metres. A Connétable may still restrict the opening hours of the road fuel station at a large shop having considered the scope for impact on the peace and tranquillity of the neighbourhood and the scope for nuisance to be caused to neighbouring residents. In such circumstances, the permitted hours that apply specifically to the road fuel station will be recorded on the permit.

The fee for filing an application is £120.

Restricted Hours permit application


Single permit available to occupiers of any shop.

Organisers of one-off or occasional events that will provide goods and / or services on a Sunday may wish to apply for a single permit. This permit may also be granted in addition to a Restricted Hours Permit.

A single permit can authorise the opening of a shop on a specified Sunday, Good Friday, or Liberation Day.

Single Permits cannot allow a shop to open on Christmas Day or 26 December.

The occupier of a shop may apply for more than one single permit in a year.  They may submit one or more applications at different times of the year.  Alternatively, they may also submit a single application citing up to 5 dates on which they wish to be granted permission to open via a single permit.

An individual shop may not open for more than 5 days in any one year under one or more single permits.

The fee for filing an application is £60.

Single Permit application